Friday, November 20, 2009

Music to my Ears

I went for my second opinion u/s today.

They wanted me there a full half hour before my appointment time to "check in." I think they squeezed me in during the lunch hour. No one else was in the waiting room. No staff person said hello or even acknowledged me for 20+ minutes, although several girls walked back and forth behind the counter, chatting about nonsense with each other. At 2 minutes before my appointment time, they addressed me and handed me 6 or 7 pages of paperwork to fill out. One minute before my appointment time, someone came to call me back to the exam room. I basically tossed the paperwork back at the desk girls and told them I'll finish it after my appointment.

Staff rating: D-

The tech was somewhat better. She maneuvered very quickly. She didn't give me a blow-by-blow account of what she was looking at or measuring. And it was hard to tell this time exactly what I was looking at on the screen because baby is now head down, right on top of my cervix! (Whoa, little boy, wait a bit longer to get into exit position, eh). I asked for a picture of his heart. She seemed confused. I said, "when you go for your very first u/s, the magical moment is seeing the heart beat. It's the critical event. So the heart is very important, but nobody ever gives you a picture of it." She smiled and understood.

Tech rating: B

Just before the tech finished up, the door to the room opened after a brief knock. The perinatologist himself came in! Wow. I felt honored. He turned out to be the kindest, sweetest, most down to earth guy. He asked me some questions, he looked at the new measurements, he explained everything and answered my questions patiently. He was attentive yet calm and had a sense of humor. He said by the calendar, I am 23w1d today (I don't know how my pg ticker calculates, but it seems to be a little fast). He said all of baby's measurements are just fine and in fact ahead of age, measuring about 24 weeks. Femur: fine. Humerus: fine. Everything: fine. He said he was not sure why the prior doctor's narrative report said the femur was "short for age" because the actual measurement in the report was dead on for age.

The best thing he said was, "You got a normal kid."

I could have hugged him. The words were music to my ears.

Doctor rating: A++

They handed us a few fuzzy photos and said they don't need to see us again. Fine with me! (Considering my new good mood, I did finish up the paperwork before leaving).



Thank you God for a healthy baby. And thank you blog sisters for always being there to offer support and kind and caring words.

So, in celebration of a perfect baby boy, here are some photos showing my new hair cut and color and the outside of baby boy's house (i.e., my belly!).





...

18 comments:

Gwynn said...

YAY!!! I'm so glad that you now have peace of mind. Whew!

(and, man, you have beautiful hair! I totally have hair envy.)

Finn's Mom said...

Awww big time congrats!!!! I'm so happy for you! And ugh, I hate support staff like that. It's like they resent doing the work that earns them a paycheck.

Anyhoo, enough about them- congrats again! Enjoy your peace of mind mama!

Kara's Mom said...

Wonderful news! a big 'PHEW' and let's get on with that perfect baby.

much love

tootertotz said...

That surely is a sweet relief after any uncertainty at all.

Congrats and continued peace to you and your pregnancy!

just me, dawn said...

yay for normal kids! sorry that you had to worry in between USs!

Lorraine said...

SOOOO glad you got the good report! Plus, the good hair! Love that copper and bone-china skin combination - something I try for myself!

Yay for everything!

Jen said...

I couldn't be happier for you!!!!

My Baby A has been in "exit position" since @ week 20 when the shortening and funneling of my cervix scare started- 9 weeks later, I figure she likes it there, even though it scared me for many weeks!!!

Hugs!!!

Anonymous said...

What awesome news! You were the first thing I checked on when I woke up this morning and I'm so happy that everything turned out perfect.

I love the baby belly and the new hair! You must be on top of the world now.

embieadoptmom said...

YIPPEEE!!! I knew baby boy would be okay! Glad you have that reassurance! That rocks.

BTW-YOU ARE SO TINY!!! Your hair and bod look FABULOUS DAHLING!

Anonymous said...

aw you look amazing! and he is sooo cute!

K said...

Yay yay and more yay! So happy for you and all sounds so good. Love the pics, haircut, (little) belly and all.

Eb said...

Bugger me I don't know where to start!
healthy baby - WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!
hair - b'jesus women - you a model??
staff - well, by now we all know, don't we

great news, really great. and you look so lovely!
EB

Alex P said...

1) awesome news, glad you can breathe!

2)awesome haiir!
3) Awesome bump!

Elizabeth said...

Yay! That's the greatest news. And, even better you got to look like your fab. self to hear it! Love to you,
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

woohoo! I'm so glad the 2nd opinion gave you such good news! your hair colour is gorgeous and you have such an adorable belly :)

Riley said...

Despite the not so stellar staff, the doctor sounded awesome! I teared up reading that part - I am so, so happy that everything looks good with your little boy and that you have "a normal kid"! I'm sure that's a big relief for you. Sorry the other doctor created all the worrying over the femur for nothing. And the hair looks fabulous! Beautiful hair and belly!

stillhopeful said...

Excelent news, must be a big relief! Nothing like a little drama to get you nervous, right??

And can I just say - what a tiny belly bump at 22w! It's so cute!! And your hair is awesome, so thick and healthy looking - I'm jealous!!! :)

Bowers Family said...

Just catching up!! So glad that everything is fine. What a relief! I'm very happy for you. And I love your hair!!!!!! And your bump! You will laugh when you see mine. I promise to send it to you this weekend!

BB