Thursday, October 8, 2009

Work, Part II and Getting Nutty

To answer a few questions about my previous post:

How much maternity leave do I get? I have no idea how long I'll be able to take. First, my probationary period is 12 months, so I won't even have completed that when the baby comes. I also won't qualify for FMLA benefits because I'll have worked there less than a year. But I believe that the state policy says I can take up to 12 months. Of course I won't have very much sick/vacation time by then. So I think it will depend on how long my DH and I can manage financially. Because I was laid off for 9 months and had to pay out of pocket for fertility treatments, our savings was hugely depleted. So....we'll see!

When will I spill the beans at work? Well, I guess 20 weeks should be time enough. Half way through the pregnancy will give my bosses sufficient notice.

As for telling co-workers, I've given it some thought. I want it to be as simple and low drama as possible. Of course I'll tell the bosses first. I could take care of the announcement to everyone else in one fell swoop during a staff meeting. I'd just casually toss it out there at the end of the meeting. You know, when the boss says, "Okay, that's all I have. Anybody have anything else?" I'd say, "I just wanted you all to know that I'm about ___ weeks pregnant and the baby is due around mid March." Then handle the fallout.

In other matters, I'm starting to get nutty about finding out the baby's gender!

Lorraine announced yesterday that she is having a boy!

One Small Wish found out she is having a girl!

Dawn learned that she too is having a girl!

And of course An Offering of Love's baby girl is due in just 3 weeks!

Conceiving Life After 40 is holding out (amazing!) until the birth to find out her baby's gender!

I'm SO ready to know! Son or daughter? Having a boy to even out the numbers above or adding to the girl list? I keep looking at my U/S pic and trying to decide if I think it looks more like a girl or a boy. Silly, huh? As though I could tell from the profile. But I want to know!

My gender-determining u/s isn't for another 3 weeks. Can I possibly wait that long? I am trying to be satisfied with the reassurance of the daily doppler. But I'm really ready to know.

Humor me, okay? Here is my most recent profile u/s (I think it was from 12 weeks). Just make a stab - make a guess...boy or girl?

16 comments:

just me, dawn said...

LOL, well based on the US, I am going to guess boy. What do you think? what are you hoping for?
my hubby thought boy from the US because he didn't think the baby was cute, but the whole time he wanted a girl.....he thinks bebe girl is very cute now LOL.

Fran said...

I'm back on the net my dear, so here I stop to share my wisdom :o) I think it'll be a boy. I was so impressed by the theory your midwife had!

And for work: I'm sure you'll handle it brilliantly, I'm sure the lovely secretary will become all emotional for you, the candy stealer will gain a stone in a day from the shock and the receptionist will hug you gently.
Much love, Fran

stillhopeful said...

OK - I'm going to say a boy, because.....

If I stare at the u/s long enough, it almost looks like there is hair on the top of his head, with bangs on the forehead, and then short hair around the sides. Since the Dorothy Hammill cut has been out for a long time for girls, I think it's definitely a boy's haircut! Plus it seems like a strong chin / jaw line. So I'm going with boy!! Hey - if you can't see the key body part, you gotta look for other "signs", right? :)

Finn's Mom said...

I'm going with boy too! The profile and hairdo (in reality the skull shape, but it looks like a cute little tuft of hair) reminds me of Harry Connick Jr. ;)

anofferingoflove said...

well, ill be the one to disagree - i think GIRL! :)

do you have any hunches?

hope the next 3 weeks fly by; waiting for that big u/s is SO hard!

Anonymous said...

I think it's a boy too because he looks so relaxed in there. Looks like he's just lying on a comfy bed having a snooze, something many males I know seem to do very easily! :)

Eb said...

It's absolutely a girl, if it isn't a boy ;-)

good plan at work by the way.
EB

tireegal68 said...

wow - that's a good question!
I have no clue but I know it's a really cute baby!!! Nice head:) lovely bangs:)
I vote girl because I secretly ( or not so secretly) want one - although of course I will definitely be happy if it's a baby!
Good luck with waiting to find out - the good news is that you just can't cheat on that one, can you?!!

cindyhoo2 said...

I love your plan for telling your coworkers. And for some reason I think it's a boy... I just have a feeling. I have had a very good track record for guessing gender in the last few months. :)

embieadoptmom said...

Gut says he's a boy :)

Lorraine said...

Hard to tell from a profile - can you call and ask? My ultrasound person actually knew at the LAST scan, but wouldn't have said anything since I didn't ask!

Do you have a preference?

Susan said...

I say Boy! :)

looking4#3 said...

I don't know what I would do without you and your kinds words, support, guidance, prayers and love!!! Thank you so much for being there and keeping me/us in your prayers!!!!
And, you know I think boy!! Which probably means girl, based on my track record!!!

Mad Hatter said...

My gut says "girl".
And very healthy!!!
Love,
Maddy

Eb said...

Hi its me. thanks so much for all your thoughts an support.
EB

Bowers Family said...

Wow! What a great scan! I get mine on Friday. I'm going to say GIRL. Don't know why but that is my guess.

My entire work place knows and it has been fine. I too, do not qualify for FMLA - so it will be interesting. Not sure how much time I am taking off but I have a feeling it will be more than 3 months.
Hope you are feeling good!