Wednesday, September 30, 2009

On a Whim

Welcome new followers! So happy to have you!

The other day at work I was kind of bored and bravely surfing the internet. Our computers are blocked from accessing blog sites and other various websites, but it doesn't block amazon or ebay or craigslist or other shopping sites. Strange.

So on a whim I found myself looking at fetal dopplers. I hadn't even been thinking about them. It seems I was trying to recall how cheaply they could be rented and whether you would be locked in to a term of months. I should be able to start feeling the baby move sometime within the next month. But until then....the days seem long. Baby, are you alive in there? So I guess I wondered whether I could get one for just a month.

The doppler arrived at my door the next day! Boy, that was easy. For $25 I have use of this very nice little doppler for the next 30 days. "For less than $1 dollar a day...." A commercial seemed to run through my mind.

Finding the heartbeat proved a little tricky. I kept hearing my own. I moved the probe here, there, to the left, to the right. Finally, before panic set in, I found it. Ohhhh, it's way down there? Just 1/2 inch above the pubic hairline. I clocked that racehorse at 142 bpm. I check it 3 times a day: morning, after work, before bed. That means I pay 33 cents for each opportunity to hear my baby's heartbeat.

I can't think of a better deal on earth.

....And now....a mom update.....
My mom emailed me yesterday. She said that the news came as a bit of a shock at first, but now that it's had some time to sink in, she's sooooooooooo happy for me and she's sorry I had to go through sooooo much to get here. She said she loved the illustrations in my book and commented on how there will be so much fun stuff to do getting ready for the baby. So, I feel a little better about it all.

The world is beginning to make sense again.
...

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those dopplers can be tricky! I've found that the heartbeat tends to be in the same place every single time (it's just moved up as time goes by), which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I would have thought that the baby would move around a lot more and the heartbeat would be in different places, but I guess it's not true. In any event, it's nice to know just where to find it! And what a great reassurance it is to be able to hear it whenever you want.

I'm so glad to hear the update from your mom. Sounds like she's coming around and will be plenty excited about your little miracle! So happy things are turning around for you!

tireegal68 said...

yay - what a bargain for the pleasure of thrice daily heartbeat checks!
And I am so happy that your mom is feeling more adjusted and happy about the baby now and was able to tell you that.
good news all around!

stillhopeful said...

That's great that you got the doppler!!! I really wanted to, but DH knew I would freak out if I had problems finding the HB, making us both crazy, so he begged me not to. But how cool that you were able to find it. That reassurance is priceless!

And so glad you got that email from mom. Hopefully you can share some close times with her while you get ready for the baby's arrival!

Finn's Mom said...

Thank goodness your mom is showing some decent sense now! I'm sure you'll never forget her initial reaction but hopefully she'll have a nice, long lifetime as a grandma to make it up to you. Even if it *shudder!* turns out to be a boy. ;)

Eb said...

Oh good, so glad you got some reassurance from your ma. If she's anything like mine she will be a recurrent wonder of insensitivity but I know she had good intentions so I just let it slide.
Bitch if a SIL though will get the full throttle of hormones if she steps out of line.

Hearing your babies heart rate. Is there anything more amazing than that. I wish you could post the sound!!

anofferingoflove said...

great news all around! the dopplar sounds wonderfully reassuring. and hip, hip, horray for your mother's email!!! so glad to hear she has changed her tune and is ready to be excited/supportive!

Mad Hatter said...

Hooray for a doppler and hooray for a mom who comes through! I'm really happy all is well and making sense - you deserve to enjoy this ride!

embieadoptmom said...

Sounds like all things are looking up! YIPPEE!

niobe said...

Glad to hear your mom is coming around. Because, when I read the previous post, I was thinking that she sounded sooo much like my own mom.

K said...

I hear those dopplers are quite the anxiety buster! Seems like a totally reasonable investment to me. Even better that mom is coming around...as I think we all thought (hoped) she might. What have you decided about the rest of the books?

looking4#3 said...

Sorry I haven't been here to "publicly" comment, but hey, you know what's up!
That is awesome that you got a doppler. I have been considering the same thing. Still have quite a while to go for that though.
So glad your mom is coming around. I am sure by the time she visits, she is going to be in full blown crazy grandmother mode and her excitement will be seeping out of her pores!!! And, I just know that no DNA link is never going to be apparent again!
I think all the negativity is gone and it's all positive from here!!

just me, dawn said...

yay for mom....sometimes it just takes time.
and isnt it crazy how low the baby is? even now at 20 weeks I usually find the heartbeat along the hairline, bebe just likes it down there!

cindyhoo2 said...

You are so funny! I love the doppler idea... whatever it takes to have a few moments of calm and reassurance.

I am also glad that your mom came around to the bright side.