Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Mommy Instincts

...
Have you done things that made you think, "I will be a good mom one day because I have mommy instincts"? I had one of those moments last night, around 3:30 am.

[Disclaimer: for those of you who don't have pets, you may find this a bit gross].

Our two little dogs sleep with us. Noodle Head is good girl. She just goes to the foot, lays on her pillow and snoozes. Doodle, however, likes to get between us, she rolls onto her back, snores, and if she wakes before you, you might end up with a tongue licking your morning breath mouth. She is also as sweet as the day is long.

Anyway, last night around 3:30 am, in the darkness of night, the peaceful silence was suddenly broken by a sound every dog owner recognizes: the sound of a dog about to puke. The familiar ratchety heaving sound. You usually get 2-3 heave warnings before the big event.

Heave 1, I was awake and sitting straight up in bed. Heave 2, I was assessing which dog was about to do the deed. By heave 3, I realized it was Doodle and had my hands cupped firmly under her mouth as she deposited the goods. Using no hands, I got the sheets off me, climbed out of bed and made my way to the bathroom to dispose of the goods and clean up. By the time I made it back into bed, my husband was just turning over, and in a half-asleep, foggy voice said, "Huh? What? What's going on?" I said, "Nothing. Go back to sleep."

Yup, I have mommy instincts. The sound of my Doodle needing help jolted me into action. The job was done before hubby even opened one sleepy eye. That's mommy instinct!
...

10 comments:

Gina said...

A story only a dog owner could love. I too have had many of these moments. Although, I can't catch what comes out of my boxers mouth. I quickly get her into the bathroom, and off the carpet.

Those are some great mommy instincts!

cindyhoo2 said...

Hats off to the Queen of mums-to-be! I do wake up with the horka horka noises but I am not a catcher. You have a stomach of steel!
Do you have the mom-arm when you drive? Be it my dogs, my partner or my purse; I have a mission to protect my front seat passenger.

stillhopeful said...

Um... if I say "yuck" does that mean I'll be a bad mom??? When my cat starts to spit up a hairball, I try to nudge her off the carpet so it won't stain. I must looks for signs of mommy instincts elsewhere...

Anonymous said...

You are a way better mom than me........when one of my animals does that all I do is grab them and toss them onto the hardwood so at least it will be easy to clean in the morning.

We have Angel Wings said...

I agree - you have Mommy Instincts!

I can't wait for them to come in handy with your 2 legged human baby!! :)

looking4#3 said...

That is BEYOND Mommy instincts!!!! You are ready girl. Sit back and hold on ....... your BFP is on the way!!!

Lucky Jones said...

Oh, I know that sound. Very, very well. Luckily it happens on the floor and not on the bed so I have never had the pleasure of playing catch so to speak :) You absolutely have mommy instincts!!

I am actually crying I am laughing so hard! My favorite part is the oblivious hubby, just like mine!

Team Marmanbee said...

That sounds like quite a feat! I've never caught puke in my hands, but my cat did puke over the side of a bookcase once, and it dripped all over the place. I patted myself on the back just for cleaning that up.

tireegal68 said...

You got the mommy prize - no questions about it!

K said...

Cat owners can definitely "feel" the love on this story too. And what is with men not waking up to that sound??