Monday, May 18, 2009

Teetering on the Brink of Cancellation

...
Nothing is a sure bet until it actually happens. It is three days before our scheduled transfer and our cycle may get cancelled.

My estradiol shot up to 939 from 791. That's after decreasing the dosage. WTF? Well, the lab result could be in error. After 2 days of problems with that *$#!@^& lab, who the hell knows whether we can trust the results. I am going to have another level drawn tomorrow at a different place.

The RE wanted to cancel the cycle. She feels that even if we stop the Delestrogen shots and bring the level down to normal, the "non-ideal" circumstances warrant cancellation. The IVF coordinator said RE is "very conservative" and likes everything to go perfectly like clock work.

The doctor who actually performs the procedure (and who outranks the RE) feels that if we can bring the level down, we can proceed with the transfer as scheduled, and that our chances of a successful pregnancy won't be adversely affected.

So what do we believe? What do we do? We have five embryos. Three look great. Two are probably not worth using. That means we have one shot. I don't want to waste these embryos on a doomed transfer.

A second considerations is that between the meds and the cost of the outside monitoring clinic, we've spent about $4,000. It would be down the drain if we have to start over. And we'd have to come up with another $4,000 to repeat them, which I'm not sure we have right now. But if we proceed and fail as a result of the estrogen roller coaster, then we've spent $10,000 (including the fee to the Clinic) and end up with nothing.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Even if you're not a believer, please pray that this works out for us.
...

7 comments:

just me, dawn said...

oh man, i don't know anything about IVF, but I am praying for you. thanks for your comments and the sisterhood award. it is so nice to know we aren't alone in all this!! ((hugs))

meandbaby said...

I'm sorry you are dealing with such a difficult decision. I wish I had some words of wisdom. Is there more than one RE in the office? Can you get a second opinion? Hoping for you!

IVF 40+ said...

I would ask the doc for the best case scenario (find out what the odds are). That way, as cold as it sounds, you can optimize your chances.
This totally freakin' sucks. I am so sorry.

K said...

I'm an "all in" kind of person. Assuming there are no horrible risks to you, you've come this far, and science DOESN'T know everything. As far as the fee goes, I was already in to it before transfer day and the amount I would have saved was about $1500 if I had cancelled the transfer. One RE told me I had less than a 10% chance. One said there was always the possibility. Even though I ended with a chemical M/C I wouldn't trade my decision to continue for the world. That's my 2 cents.

looking4#3 said...

What a hard, tough decision. Like one of the PP, I think I would do "ALL IN" approach!!
Looking at it from a statistical point of view---the RE that is doing the actual transfer said you can proceed---barring getting your numbers down!!?? Well, they want their numbers to be high too. They do not want to do procedures they don't have a hope or shot in working. If that Doc says it can be a go---I say GO FOR IT!!!! Keeping you in my prayers and thoughts!!

cindyhoo2 said...

I do believe and I will pray very hard that you get your baby (S) from these eggs this time.

In terms of the estrogen. I think I don't know enough about why it being high is such a bad thing. I can only say that the 1 time I got pregnant was when I had high estrogen... like so high that my last RE said that he would have cancelled the cycle.

Oh, I hope this easier for you.

tireegal68 said...

Rats!
I am so sorry. I am encumbered by ignorance about the estrogen levels and what it means.
I am hoping and wishing and doing a baby dance over here for you ( no, not that kind of baby dance!) and really hoping that you can go ahead.
I do think doctors like to be controlling, always think of the worst case scenario and never give us enough hope.
I on the other hand am rooting for you and hoping the best case scenario comes true for you.
Many many hugs!
TG:)